Email MeRonald D. Krist
Ronald D. Krist is a name partner of The Krist Law Firm, P.C. of Houston, Texas. He was born, reared and educated in Texas. He received both his undergraduate and law degree from the University of Texas. He is a member of numerous professional organizations, including:
- Houston Best Lawyers Personal Injury Litigator of the Year (2009).
- #1 Personal Injury Trial Lawyer in the State of Texas, as listed in Texas Lawyer Magazine.
- "Best Lawyers in America" listing since 1989.
- One of the five most successful small-firm lawyers in America, as listed in Lawyers Weekly U.S.A.
- One of the seven most successful lawyers in America, as chosen by Forbes Magazine.
- Honorary Order of Barristers award. The University of Texas at Austin School of Law.
- Top 100 of Texas Super Lawyers, as listed by Texas Monthly Magazine.
- Texas Super Lawyers, a Thomson Reuters Business (2003 - 2011).
- Inner Circle of Advocates member, an invitation-only group limited to 100 of the best plaintiff lawyers in the United States.
- International Academy of Trial Lawyers. Member and former President (member of the Board of Directors, 1988-1993, Dean, 1996, Vice-President, 1997, President-Elect, 1998, President, 1999), an honorary legal organization limited to the top 500 trial lawyers from the United States and over 30 other countries around the world.
- International Society of Barristers. Member of the Board of Directors (1999-2006), an invitation-only honor society of outstanding trial lawyers as chosen by their peers for excellence and integrity in their advocacy.
- American Board of Trial Advocates President (1985 - Houston Chapter), an invitation-only legal honor society.
- Fellow: American College of Trial Lawyers (Member, Texas State Committee, 2001-2005). A legal honor society limited to the best of the trial bar from the United States and Canada.
- The National Judicial College Advisory Council (2002), which provides judicial education and professional development for our nation's judiciary.
- National Institute for Trial Advocacy. Member, Board of Trustees (2002-2005).
- Outstanding Alumnus Award for 2006. The University of Texas School of Law.
- Commissioned as one of only six honorary captains of the Texas Rangers in its storied 175-year history.
He is the author of numerous books and publications, including contributing author of Ronald D. Krist and Sigmund A. Horvitz, "Measuring the Loss of Earning Capacity," Texas Bar Journal. Vol. 36, No. 5, May 22, 1973; "Summation and Argument in Negligence Case Involving Ruptured Intervertebral Disc," Personal Injury Deskbook-1982. Matthew Bender & Company, Incorporated, New York, 1982; "Cross Examination of Non-Medical Experts," Art of Advocacy. Matthew Bender & Company, Incorporated, New York, 1984; and Ronald D. Krist, "Wide View of Tort Reform" 24 Pepperdine Law Review 889 (1997).
Public Offices Held and Public Service Work:
- Appointed by Governor Ann Richards as a member of the Public Safety Commission (1992-1997) and Chairman in 1993. The commission oversees the Texas Department of Public Safety, including the Texas Rangers, the principle law enforcement agency in the state of Texas. Mr. Krist was given the distinct honor of being commissioned as one of only six honorary captains of the Texas Rangers in its storied 175-year history.
- Appointed an Ex-Officio member of the Texas Racing Commission by Governor Ann Richards in 1993.
- Appointed a member of the State Commission on Judicial Conduct (2001-2007). The commission oversees the judiciary in Texas, determining what, if any, action should be taken in response to complaints filed against the judiciary.
Ronald D. Krist represented Betty Grissom, surviving widow of astronaut, Virgil Gus Grissom, relative to Grissom's death on Pad 34 at Cape Kennedy, and the surviving family members of astronauts, Ronald McNair, Gregory Jarvis, and Judy Resnik, relative to the Challenger disaster. He also established the Doctrine of Crashworthiness as a case of first impression in Texas in the celebrated case of Turner v. General Motors Corporation, which was one of the first million dollar plus awards in the State of Texas.
Areas of Practice
- Premises Liability -- Plaintiff
- Admiralty & Maritime Law
- Jones Act
- Longshore & Harbor Workers' Compensation Act
- Business & Commercial Law
- Consumer Protection
- Construction Law
- Housing & Construction Defects
- Environmental Law
- Litigation & Appeals
- Complex Litigation
- Personal Injury -- Plaintiff
- Assault & Battery -- Plaintiff
- Aviation Accidents -- Plaintiff
- Defamation & Privacy -- Plaintiff
- Motor Vehicle Accidents -- Plaintiff
- Property Damage -- Plaintiff
- Railroad Accidents -- Plaintiff
- Wrongful Death -- Plaintiff
- Products Liability Law
- Alcoholic Beverages
- Chemicals & Cosmetics
- Food & Agricultural Products
- Machinery & Tools
- Medical Products & Devices
- Motor Vehicle Defects
- Pharmaceutical Products
- Recreational Products
- Railroad Worker Injury/FELA
- Toxic Torts
- Hazardous Waste
- Radiation & Electromagnetic Energy
- Transportation Law
- Mass Transit
- 100% of Practice Devoted to Litigation
Certified Legal Specialties
- Personal Injury Trial Law, Texas Board of Legal Specialization, 1978
- Texas, 1962
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of Texas, 1968
- U.S. District Court Northern District of Texas, 1965
- U.S. District Court Southern District of Texas, 1971
- U.S. District Court Western District of Texas, 1978
- U.S. Court of Appeals 5th Circuit, 1971
- U.S. Supreme Court, 1962
- The University of Texas School of Law, Austin, Texas
- J.D. - 1962
- Honors: Honorary Order of Barristers
- University of Texas, Austin, Texas
- B.B.A. - 1960
- Major: Business
- "Measuring the Loss of Earning Capacity", Texas Bar Journal, Vol. 36, No. 5, May, 22, 1973
- "Summation and Argument in Negligence Case Involving Ruptured Intervertebral Disc", (Contributing Author), Personal Injury Deskbook, 1982
- Cross Examination of Non-Medical Experts, Art of Advocacy, 1984
- Wide View of Tort Reform, 24 Pepperdine Law Review 899, 1997
- Turner v. General Motors Corp, 584 S.W. 2d (Tex. 1979)
- Turner v. General Motors Corp, 567 S.W. 2d 812 (Tex. Civ. App. 1978)
- Turner v. General Motors Corp, 514 S.W. 2d 497 (Tex/ Civ. App. 1974)
- Garcia v. American Physicians Ins. Exchange, 812 S.W. 2d 25 (Tex. App. San Antonio 1991)
- Boyles v. Kerr, 815 S.W. 2d 545 (Tex. 1991)
- Boyles v. Kerr, 806 S.W. 2d 255 (Tex. App. Texarkana 1991)
- City of Austin v. Cooksey, 570 S.W. 2d 386 (Tex. 1978)
- City of Austin v. Cooksey, 561 S.W. 2d 874 (Tex. App. Eastland 1978)
- Amoco Chemicals v. Sutton, 551 S.W. 2d 459 (Tex. App. Eastland 1977)
- Rose v. Doctors Hosp., 801 S.W. 2d 841 (Tex. 1990)
Honors and Awards
- Houston Best Lawyers Personal Injury Litigator of the Year, 2009
- Texas Super Lawyers, a Thomson Reuters Business, 2003 - 2011
- "The Best Lawyers in America" by Woodward & White, 1989 - Present
- Named One of the Top 100 Lawyers in Texas by Texas Monthly Magazine, 2004 - 2005
- Named "Go To Lawyer" for the State of Texas in the field of personal injury law by Texas Lawyer Magazine, 2003
- The Inner Circle of Advocates
- Distinguished Lecturer Award, Pepperdine University School of Law (1978, 1980,1981)
- Listed in Lawyers Weekly U.S.A. as one of the Five Most Successful Small-Firm Lawyers in America, 1996
- Chosen by Forbes as one of the Seven Most Successful Lawyers in America, 1995
- Outstanding Alumnus Award, The University of Texas School of Law, 2006
- Life Fellow, Texas Bar Foundation
- Fellow, Houston Bar Foundation
- Fellow, American College of Trial Lawyers
Professional Associations and Memberships
- International Academy of Trial Lawyers, Member, Board of Directors, 1988 - 1993
- International Academy of Trial Lawyers, Dean, 1996
- International Academy of Trial Lawyers, Vice-President, 1997
- International Academy of Trial Lawyers, President-Elect, 1998
- International Academy of Trial Lawyers, President, 1999
- International Society of Barristers, Member, Board of Directors, 1999 - 2006
- American Board of Trial Advocates, Houston Chapter, President, 1985
- American College of Trial Lawyers, Member, Texas State Committee, 2001 - 2005
- The National Judicial College, Advisory Council, 2002
- National Institute for Trial Advocacy, Member, Board of Trustees, 2002 - 2008
Pro Bono Activities
- Member, Public Safety Commission, 1992 - 1997
- Chairman, Public Safety Commission, 1993
- Ex Officio Member, Texas Racing Commission, 1993
- Member, State Commission on Judicial Conduct, 2001 - 2007
- Phi Alpha Delta